Farmers Connect is one of the flagship programs of Dr. MCRF to support farmers for their overall growth and prosperity.
To support and strengthen livelihood of farmers by creating a network and developing solutions that work across food-value system starting from awareness, production to consumption by consumer thereby increasing the income levels of the farmers and make them to feel `Proud’ of their Profession.
Addressing farmers’ needs: We have dialogue with farmers in individual capacity and as a group and find out about the challenges they face, from selection of crops, source of seeds, method of cultivation, to postharvest technology and market linkages. We understand and address the farmers problems by developing inexpensive solutions as per the farmers requirement for that particular region.
Improving Agriculture Productivity: We provide farmers with a comprehensive solutions that includes facilitating improved variety of seeds, provisioning better manure, cost-effective farm tools, farm management practices, agriculture education, applying `digital technologies’.
Promoting and developing skills in advanced agricultural practices: With decreasing ground water level, insufficient rains, and decline in availability of agriculture labor, MCRF felt it is vital and need of the hour to encourage farmers for cost effective mechanized practices that shall help them grow more in less land, water, fertilizer. Further we enable and educate farmers in simple and affordable postharvest technologies, which shall improve shelf life and market price for the food produce.
Endorsing collaborative farmers’ association: We maximize transfer of knowledge, adoption and facilitation of agriculture technology, providing alternative employment, especially for small and medium sized farmers through collaborative farmer cooperatives. These shall serve as: -
- Information centers for farmers
- Voice for farmers market advocacy
- Facilitation centers for strong village and regional farmers market associations.
- Centers to promote farmers’ markets to the public.
- Centers to develop and provide awareness programmes and networking opportunities for farmers and farmers’ market vendors.
Facilitating Effective Market Linkages: We connect farmers and farmer cooperatives across various regions directly to the consumers/ markets. We facilitate farmers’ connection throughz a Value-Chain-Thinking-
- Understand the role of agriculture in contributing to climate change and developing sustainable agriculture practices which can help in mitigating and adapting to climate change.
- Promotion of watershed based farming system in rural areas in rainfed areas to improve profitability and food security of small farmers.
- To facilitate training activities for farmers on agriculture and allied subjects and empower farmers for better agriculture practises.
- To provide information to farmers on Govt. schemes,and available financial assistances from govt. and other funding agencies.
- To provide/arrange alternative employement to farmers during agriculture offseason. For example MCRF shall provide gardening/ horticulture (skill) oriented jobs to farmers in near by towns/ cities.
- To promote farmers market that contribute the success of local food growers and producers and create vibrant community gathering thereby benefitting the local farmer.
- To facilitate a platform in creating market linkages such as links to food processing industry, for locally grown millets, fruits and vegetables.
- To provide information on postharvest technologies and facilitate in providing Renewable energy based Green House Solar Dryers and Solar Bubble Dryer for farmers.
- To create/ provide farmer friendly mobile apps for farmers, on-the-go-growers and ag retailers. These apps shall provide latest agriculture trends, equipment, technologies and methods being used.